1967 Saab 96 Restoration
I picked myself up a vintage Saab 1967 96 two-stroke while at the Saab Owners Convention this year. I wasn't planning on buying a car, but I thought what will another one hurt? I got it home just recently about a week ago from when this post was made and as it runs well, I thought I better get started on restoring it to drive it to next year's Saab owners convention. The plan is to get everything working first and install the original engine that is oil injected. I did receive it, but the current engine in it is a mixed two stroke.
After cleaning up the electrical and getting most everything to function, I was onto the brakes. I noticed the front driver and rear passenger brakes didn't work very well and were kinda stuck. After fighting to remove the front hub I noticed the piston that pushes the pads were seized. I got all the drums and hubs off all 4 wheels and since I was this far I just started to take off everything in the rear to start addressing the surface rust underneath and have all the parts powder-coated. I also ran the front brake springs and locker pins through the ultra sonic cleaning with rust remover to clean them up. I also ordered all new pistons for the brakes and I will be ordering pads once I find them. Hopefully, I can get things back soon so I can drive it a bit more before winter starts.
Rear brake cylinder pistons - https://ebay.us/sxQG9w
Front Brake cylinder pistons - https://ebay.us/5nNehx
another photo of some stuff for powdercoating
I have made some more progress on the 96 I now have my windshield washer pump working. The pump is literally just a syringe that uses a spring behind it to push the fluid out of the sprayers. The original one was broken due to being old plastic so I had a new aluminum plunger machined and it's been working great now. I was thinking of offering the new aluminum piece for sale, but not sure how many people have this same issue. It would be easier to just use an electric pump I just wanted to keep it all original
I am still waiting on parts to arrive and so I have been addressing the rust by scraping off all the flakes then I'll sand it down It's a long messy process. I found 2 spots that I will have to cut it out and weld in a new plate, but it will be pretty easy. Once finished at the back I'll address the doors.